Saturday, January 31, 2009

Parenting 101

As you know I am a mom......Sometimes.

I try to be very patient with my kids, however patience is a virtue I am not real good at.


First let me say that I LOVE my Parker. He is soo sweet and fun and loving. But he is also just like me. He is stubborn and pig headed, and can be down right crabby!!


Last night I made a really good dinner, It was a beef soup with veggies and rice. Man was it good .Everyone snarfed it down. Except Parks.........Surprise. NOT! He doesn't eat anything except sugar, reprocessed meats, cheeses and sugar. We are not o.k. with this, so we are making a huge effort to be healthier at our house. No deserts until Sunday, and exercise of some sort every day. So we sat down at 6:00 last night for dinner. Parker tasted it and pushed it away and started his diversion tactics, which usually means getting dad talking about motorcycles, video games, or anything from the 80's. Then when our conversation is at the peak he stealthily sneaks up stairs. EVERY TIME!!!! Well last night I was watching him and I caught him just before he tried to make his exit. HA!!! I was not loosing this battle. I told him he had to eat it. Cue dramatics, crying and moaning. He told me "his body could not eat this stuff because I didn't eat good food when I was prego with him!!!" SERIOUSLY? I laughed and said "No way buddy, not true." I then informed him that he had to finish every bite or else he would loose all of his privileges. Like T.V., videos, computer, watching Kenna play videos ( he likes this),no motorcycle, no sledding, No sugar, no deserts, and I will no longer cook for him. He cried some more and sat there. I timed him. Gave him 20 minutes to finish it and that was it. He would plug his nose and gag and spit food out. How old is he?... 2?... No 9!! He didn't do it. So I told him to go up to bed no music, no tuck in, nothing. You would have thought I had stabbed him he was screaming at me... " you didn't say anything about music!!!" and I said "is it a privilege?" and he stared at me. I said," yes it is, so there for you don't get to listen to it." After a good 5 minute stare down . Brian tried to explain why we want him to eat better and how hard I had worked on the meal I made for him. Brian can always talk since into people mostly me. Any ways Parker said he wasn't going to eat it. I looked at him and said "Fine if you don't eat it no priveledges for 2 weeks, and you will eat the soup for breakfast. And if you don't eat it then you will eat for the next meal until it is gone!!! " More tears " Do you want me to starve to death?" I said "nope, so you better eat!". He ate it in 8 minutes. He finished his dinner at 9:04 P.M.


There are probably better ways to do this but I honestly have fought this battle with him for 7 years. He is just like me!!!!!!!! I LOVE THAT BOY!


P.S. I WON!



New Years Eve. Feast time for Parks he is in peak performance in this picture!!!! LOL! This is the one night a year they get to drink Pepsi!!! And Cheese Whiz from a can.. YUCK!!!!

5 comments:

Jenifer said...

We need to get Parker and Sammy in a room and lock the door. And bet on who survives the longest. I'm not kidding, he sounds just like her. She once ate cold fetticine and crusty chicken for breakfast. You would think it would just be easier for everyone if they would stop fighting us!
Just think, one day they will have kids just like them! (evil laughter...)

Kelsi {John, Jake, Georgia, Naomi, Alice} said...

you are a good mom. way to hold your ground and enforce the rules.

Marcy said...

You rock! That is awesome! I get so mad when I actually make dinner and they "don't like it" I just make them go to bed hungry but I should try your method. Eat or Starve! I love it!

Dani said...

He has been a dream ever since. how ever we are not letting him have sugar anymore!! He gets too weird. :) it is definatley worth the pain!!! he will figure it out!!!

Meg said...

I love your parenting skillzzz! Can you whip my kids into shape?